27.1.09

If you can't say something helpful, shut the hell up.

Trouble I've had lately: People condescendingly explaining the answer to a question I did not ask.

Problem with a computer program behaving not the way it's supposed to, and I ask if anyone else is having a problem with it. A few people helpfully suggest that it's another program's interference -- this is a common problem, and we go over a few trouble-shooting questions, which I'd like to think makes it clear that I know what I'm doing. But this one guy just comes talking over the conversation, explaining the exact steps to do it. My response of "yes, thank you, I realise, my problem is it dying after a minute when [all indicators are in green-yellow range]" just led to him repeating it slower and more loudly. I eventually snapped, saying that Yes, clearly, I'm just a moron with no idea how to do it, despite having done it multiple times before, thank you, you've been a great help -- and someone else jumps in to offer more helpful advice of exactly how to do it from step one.

The trouble was that another program was interfering with my commands and causing it to time out, which I would have gotten sooner had those two morons not insisted on hearing themselves talk. They kept going even after I announced the problem was solved.

Similarly, if someone comes into my work and requests something, and I ask them to repeat it, possibly my trouble is that I didn't hear it -- and you telling me what menu it's under, talking over them repeating themselves-- is not actually helpful.

It's cool that you want to help, but damn, by opening your mouth you're being the opposite of helpful.